So you have met someone at speed dating and you’ve asked them on a date, now what?
A first date can be full of expectations – will you like each other, will they be the one, will you say the wrong thing and embarrass yourself? It really is too easy to stress, analyse and overthink a 1st date! But to have a great 1st date you need to relax and enjoy yourself. So regardless of whether it works out you can both remember having a good night!
So how can you make your 1st date the best it can be? Here are some tips:
- A good date allows you to talk without putting you under too much pressure. It is a good idea to go somewhere you feel comfortable and can afford.
- Chose where you are go carefully. It is best to keep things short and simple. If you went on a 5 course dinner you may ended up stuck with someone longer than you would like!
- The internet gives so many suggestions on where to go for a great date. Such as Bowling, Hiking, Art Gallery/Museum, Live low key music, ice skating, trying new foods, live sport. But it is important to have an idea of the person’s personality and what they might like. There is no point taking someone to see the footy if they hate the footy!
- Doing something fun and memorable is a good idea. But so is going for a coffee, a few drinks or a simple dinner. All of these allow you time to chat and get to know each other.
- Keep the time frame to a couple of hours.
Places to Avoid
- Noisy place (hard to chat)
- Movies/theatre (hard to chat and great for dates down the track)
- Sports – not everyone likes sport.
- Swimming – not everyone wants to be seen early on in their bathers!
What you need to do
- Make sure you look and smell your best to make a good impression.
- Be kind – there is no need to ever be rude on a date.
- Emphasis your good points and don’t draw attention to your weakness.
- Leave emotional baggage at home.
- Be yourself. Don’t say things just to impress your date and don’t pretend to be something you are not. If you are separated don’t say you are divorced; if you hate sport don’t say you love it; if you hate kids don’t say you love them, etc. Lying to please someone never turns out well and has a bad habit of coming back to bite you.
- Remember your manners.
- Listen and get to know your date.
- Don’t rush into anything – take your time to get to know each other.
- Guys if you have asked a girl on a date it is a good idea to pay and girls remember to say thank you and appreciate the effort he has made.
- Be late.
- Talk about your exes.
- Treat the date like an interview – dating should be fun and not an interrogation.
- Talk about your faults or baggage.
- Dominate the conversation.
- Give too much information – a little mystery is good.
- Constantly be on your mobile phone.
Anyway most of all remember to have fun, this way you are more like to have a 2nd date!